Saturday, November 25, 2017

What is my share in a TIC for purposes of a creditor lawsuit?

I live in South Carolina. My husband and I co-own a house as tenants-in-common (because we bought it from a bank, and that s how their lawyer chose to write the deed). As far as I know, the deed doesn't spell out percentages. I supplied all of the initial investment to buy the house, and most of the mortgage payments have come out of my bank accounts. But since we re married, as far as I'm concerned, we own the house 50/50. Besides, a lot of "who pays the mortgage" vs. "who pays the light bill" comes down to a matter of convenience. So, what is my share in the property? And who will determine the answer if it becomes relevant to my case?

Read more: What is my share in a TIC for purposes of a creditor lawsuit?