Saturday, August 11, 2018

I posted on craigslist for my dad a couple years ago and now a all this?

He wanted to move and we thought it would be a good idea for him to just get a roommate. A woman in her 60s emailed us, she has a nice house so that's where he went. He is a veteran & was waiting on disability, so I paid his rent which was only 200/m until his roommate who I will call Kat called, said her and my dad made a deal that he pays her with some of his back-pay. My dad had to wait a couple years for it, it was enough to put a down payment on a house, that was his plan. When my dad finally received his money, he paid Kat what he owed her & I was helping him look for houses. Next thing I know Kat convinced him to pretty much spend every dime he has on her, her home and repairing it, doubling his rent to 400/m telling him he's helping pay off the house (mortgage is $350) &that if he does this she will be leaving her house to him or me. This is the short version of everything, I'm leaving out a lot but believe that we helped her out a lot. She never had children & my mom died when I was a child so Kat and I became close, like mother/daughter, spending mothers day and holidays together. Well my dad called me not long ago and told me that Kat was drinking and apparently the truth came out, that if anything happens to her she wants my dad to pay her brother and sister 100 each a month for the rest of their lives. She has never brought this up, her siblings have put nothing into the house, ¬ only that but my dad has her house almost paid off.
Added (1). 200/m isn't bad but he's already put nearly 20,000 into her & the house. We're unsure if she's going to leave it to him. She drinks &smokes. If she dies before the house is paid dad will be stuck with that bill too. She said she doesn't care what happens after she's gone& she wants her siblings to have a little money. Dad only gets about $800/m after insurance comes out. I don't know what to do. Should I have my dad move in with me and look for a house while he still has a little money left? He wants to.
Added (2). She has refused to put anything in writing but when asking my dad a year or so ago how does he know she's going to leave him her house or or at least let him stay there for the rest of his life, he said she told him she "Took care of it". I'm starting to feel like she has taken advantage of my dad while I have been gone. He got money and she wanted it. She talked him into buying her a lawn mower, computer, car, gutters, she even got new furniture from Ashley's on credit that I'm sure he's paying
Added (3). Apparently my dad is trying to turn me against her, is what she just called to say

Read more: I posted on craigslist for my dad a couple years ago and now a all this?