Tuesday, August 14, 2018

We're buying a house together. Can I legally keep my full entitlement if we split up?

Long story short I'm putting a £35k deposit (my life savings) on a house for which both me and my girlfriend will be paying off the mortgage. She does not have money to put toward the deposit but does have the income to pay half the mortgage. We both agree that in a worst case scenario and we separated, I would keep my equity stake in the property and she would keep hers. If I wrote a simple Word document stating this, which we then both signed, would that be a legally-binding document? Or would we need it facilitated by a solicitor? I have a lot more to lose in this situation so I'm keen to get this sorted.

Read more: https://allmortgage.net/forum/we-re-buying-a-house-together-can-i-legally-keep-my.html