Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Should I rent all my life or buy a house?

I rent which is 600 a month but my friends tell me I'm just throwing my money away. I love my apartment, the area, and my landlord let's me do whatever to the apartment except major renovations which I wouldn't do anyway. I've been here for 5 years, and already made it my own by painting and everything. Water and trash are included, I have great renters insurance and just love everything. I can't imagine leaving. I know in the long run you end up owning a home when buying, but what if I lose my job and can't pay the mortgage? Or get sick and can't work, or the house burns down? You never know! At least with renting I can just pick up and leave wherever and whenever until I can find another place. Plus committing to a 30 year mortgage payment freaks me out. I already have a 10 year student loan I'm still paying on. I don't know, any other pros and cons I should know about? AND I don't have to do yard maintenance, always have my own parking, a pool I don't have to clean, walking distance to work and shopping, it's like my own little world! And if I ever decide to have kids I might consider buying or just renting a bigger place.

Read more: Should I rent all my life or buy a house?