Friday, May 23, 2014

I have paid all the mortgage for 23 years (2 years left) on a joint mortgage, is it still 50/50?

My mum has been paying the mortgage for 23 years and it has 2 years remaining. They have lived together for all of this time and they are not married. He is abusive and I believe he is also mentally ill. She pays for everything, council tax, all the utility bills as well as the mortgage. She even pays for his cigarettes, car insurance and other expenses he asks for.

He is unemployed, isn't unable to work and doesn't look for a job. He believes he is too good for benefits. My uncle (mums brother) even offered him a job with a salary of 25k+ to be an industrial street cleaner (which my uncle is also doing) and he refused, saying he hasn't sunk to that level yet.

He has done a lot of damage to the house such as kick cupboards in etc.

When I was younger he would often hit my mum and once tried to hit me, but doesn't do it now I am older and when I stick up for my mum he completely ignores me and threatens to call the police (which he has done several times, with no success, only being taken away himself). Police have been to the house several times due to him smashing the house up etc.

He gets angry for no reason and slams doors and wakes her up when she has to be up early for work as he does not have a job and can go to bed whenever he likes.

He refuses to sell the house. My mum and him believe they own 50/50 each but surely because she has paid for EVERYTHING which can be proven, she must own the house?

What are my mums options in terms of the house/kicking him out.

Read more: I have paid all the mortgage for 23 years (2 years left) on a joint mortgage, is it still 50/50?