Sunday, July 27, 2014

What happens if I don't get a prenup (UK)?

My fiance and I live in my house (mortgage almost paid off) that I have saved for and pay the mortgage on completely independently. I am in a very lucky position as I am only 23 however managed to get a decent, well-paying career job after leaving university that means I can afford to have some nice amenities in my life (nothing too spectacular - I'm not wealthy - but still, comfortable). Everything in our lives has come from my pocket. She is between jobs (i.e. Unemployed) at the moment, though she is hoping to get part time work as a secretary.

Now, I have no doubts whatsoever about getting married to her as I can't see myself with anyone else, however it's unwise to be unprepared for the future as we can't predict what might happen in 1 or even 10 years down the road. What if the worst happens and we divorce? She most certainly isn't a selfish or hateful person, so I highly doubt she would try to drain my pockets, but then again you can't predict the future, and losing half (is it half? I'm not clued up) of my assets that I will have worked so hard for would be devastating. Is this what I could potentially face if we were to divorce?

Read more: What happens if I don't get a prenup (UK)?