Sunday, January 31, 2016

Has anyone downsized to a 55 and older apartment community?


what are your opinions, both positive and negative?

i have found an apartment community down the street from me. I know a lady who lives there and the apartments are very nice.

i will be 55 in two years. I own a mortgage free house in katy, texas.

i am making payments on major home repairs to the tune of 500 a month. (everything major broke at once and drained the emergency fund). Property taxes, insurance, home owners, termite, all the stuff adds up to about 600 a month.

total = about 1000 a month to live in this house.

i am not handy. Home repairs, lawn maintenance, cleaning, gardening take all my free time. I feel like i have no life. The payments are making me feel house poor. I have only 1000 emergency fund.

i do not want a condo, and i do not want to pay for a repair ever again.

am i crazy? Or is this a good decision? The rent where i want to move is 745 for a one bedroom/spare room apartment. Over 55 community. I would like to start downsizing now, gives me two years to plan and execute.
Added (1). typo:1100 a month
Added (2). rent will be 20% of my take home pay.
Added (3). i want to travel.

Read more: Has anyone downsized to a 55 and older apartment community?