Thursday, May 19, 2016

Does this sound like a reasonable concession to request from a seller?


I am looking at condominiums. I have looked at one twice that I really like. It is a nice size. The only drawback was that the current owner is a smoker. She is retiring and moving out of state and the realtor says she is anxious to sell it. She gave me the number of a good painting contractor that worked on another apartment for her that the owner smoked in and is in far worse condition. I spoke to him and he said he could definitely scrub the walls and repaint the apartment and get the smell out.

Honestly, the smoke is the only thing holding me back. I was thinking of making an offer for the full price if the owner agrees to get the walls scrubbed and repainted before the closing. I would have that painter give us an estimate. Either she pays for repainting the apartment before the closing or she gives me a check for the estimate at closing. It will probably cost close to $3,000. I don't want her to simply reduce the price by $3,000, because I will still be out of pocket. I have to put a minimum of 20 percent down or pay for mortgage insurance. Do you think this seems reasonable?

Read more: Does this sound like a reasonable concession to request from a seller?