Saturday, April 14, 2018

Just inherited large sum of money after dad. Should I keep it or give to family?

It's quite a large sum of money for my terms, but not nearly large enough to save me for the rest of my life (think 2-3 years max of worry-free life)

Mom asks me to keep it in her account as she would use it for various things (pay mortgage / insurance, buy land, get rid of neighbours in shared house we own / buy it out, …)

I'm currently in uni, so money is tight, but I don't need THAT much money right now. I've been able to get through with monthly allowance and a side job, and this would mean I'd no longer need to ask for allowance.

But I fear that me keeping it would shatter my already fragile relationship with rest of family (sister, mom) - they said it would mean I no longer have any interest in them (and implied she would disinherit me)

Should I keep that money and risk getting disinherited (this would probably just be emotional loss for me as I don't rely my future on getting any property), or should I give it all to my mother's account and continue asking for monthly allowance to ket through college for 3+ years until I'm able to get by on my own, or should I come up with a third solution (keep something give rest / shared bank account accessible by both me and mom / something else?)

This question may sound weird, but I really don't want to make a rushed decision, and get as much advice as possible. My mother is a rash woman with often jerk reactions, but I know she loves me. I want to make a choice that would be reasonable for everyone.

Read more: https://allmortgage.net/forum/just-inherited-large-sum-of-money-after-dad-should-i.html