Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Foreclosure in Alberta - what can I do to stop this?

We have owned a house for 8 years now and after the first year it was used as a rental house. We always had relatively good tenants but there were some late payments off and on. Our last tenant was constantly late but we always made sure the mortgage was paid, albeit late, but I kept in contact with the lender. When this tenant moved out I suddenly found myself having a major repair to do in the house, found a new renter who changed their mind at the last minute and these two instances really set me back and I found myself not able to pay.
I have had a family member move into the house as we knew the payments would be on time but it seems this is too late.
Last Monday my lender told me I had until 4pm that day to pay the amount owing or our file would be sent to the lawyers. I explained to them I had the full arrears amount but it wouldn't clear until Wednesday. They sent the file to lawyers.
I now have the funds to pay arrears and am willing to put an additional months payment in trust, we have a reliable renter now but they won't tell me which lawyer the file has been sent to and I just need to 'wait' for the lawyer to contact me. I don't want to wait but don't know what to do. I've been researching and am about to place calls with different lawyers but am nervous as I don't have a lot of funds or I wouldn't be in this place to begin with.

Is there anyway I can turn this around and get my lender to keep me? I would appreciate any advice.

Thank you

Read more: Foreclosure in Alberta - what can I do to stop this?