Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Just quit my corporate job. Now what?

I'm a 23 year old guy, 1 year as a mortgage loan officer. And now 1 as corporate finance consultant. But I quit last Friday. I decided that my time and freedom was more important to me then spending half my life at a desk doing work that I wasn't genuinely interested in

Anyway, I'm a little sad to be leaving a cool city like NYC, but I have to get ACL surgery.

So my plan is to go back to my parents in Florida, get ACL surgery, and recover there for about 5 months.

Okay, now that you have the set up, here is the question. What should I do with my life once I'm recovered from surgery?

I have about $40k saved and 0 debt.

I'm considering a few options and want to know what you think sounds best. I'm also open to new suggestions.

1) take time off to live and travel in a van while I work on re-sharpening my graphic design skills and trying to get freelance work. (I studied design for a couple years in school and really enjoy it. Also the idea of not throwing away money on rent and living in a space you own completely and have the freedom to go anywhere sounds awesome). I would plan on living and traveling in the van for about a year.

2) use the real estate knowledge I gained during my time as a mortgage loan officer to try to use the money I have saved to start investing in real estate. Either by flipping houses or turning the properties into rental properties.

3. Try out for Navy Officer Candidate school

4. Suggestions

Read more: Just quit my corporate job. Now what?