Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Thinking of a career change from HR to Certified Nursing Assistant. Any advice?

I just turned 26 years old, and I've been working in Human Resources for 4 years after graduating college. I enjoy HR very much and could definitely see myself staying in this field for my whole career.

At the same time, I'm young and have no ties- no family, kids, or mortgage (I rent month-to-month). So I feel like now is the perfect time to try something new!

I have an opportunity to work full-time at a nursing home as a Nursing Assistant. Training would begin immediately and I'd finish with a certification, so I'd be a certified Nursing Assistant (CNA). The company would pay for the certification 100 percent and guarantee full-time employment once the training is complete. I'd only owe them one year of service.

So if I leave HR for a year for this opportunity, I'd become a CNA in just one year and have this qualification/ experience on my resume. It sounds great, the only thing is I'm currently making $55,000 a year, and CNAs are paid like $14/hr. That's incredibly low, so I'm kind of torn. What do you think? Any advice?

Thanks!

Read more: Thinking of a career change from HR to Certified Nursing Assistant. Any advice?