Monday, May 26, 2014

How to tell about guardianship?

I have a question about guardianship and such. There is a man I work with in my city. He is in his 50's. He lives with his mother, I believe he takes care of her. He has had the same job for 15-20 years, owns a truck, and I believe he owns the house his mother lives in.
This man concerns me a bit because I wonder if he has a disability. He often speaks kind of "slurry", or a little slower. He just seems like he may have something wrong with him.
The reason I wonder is because sometimes he tells me stories of things he did in the past and I worry if he is of a "sound mind". He has told me stories about how he has given people money to pay off bills, or their mortgage, etc.
Granted, this was a while back, but still I look and think "is he able to make those decisions?" My partner has told me not to worry about him. He says that because he holds a steady job, owns a house, and a car, and takes care of his mom, that he most likely is able to make his own decisions. He told me that just because someone does something with their money that I would not do, it doesn't mean they can't make those decisions. And, he says it was so long ago.
The other thing is, I know one of the people he gave or lent money to. This person says it was over 8 years ago, he offered to pay off something for him, and the man DID give him some money in return. HE said no contracts were ever signed, etc.
I tend to think a LOT and go online a lot, so now I am obsessing.
Am I thinking too much about this?
Added (1). That is true. The person who he gave money to is my Really good friend. He did it when the person was in their 20s. My friend said he offered to pay off a loan for him and he let him. I started worrying that maybe at the time my friend took advantage or something and I got worried. Also, I do NOT know all the details of what happened. The man I work with could have got money and just be starting trouble because they aren't friends anymore-I don't know.

Read more: How to tell about guardianship?